Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Track 25: The Intern Times

For the summer, I'm interning at Nova Technologies, a military contracting company, as an intern. The company has a contract with the U.S. Army to maintain simulators that one of the local units at Fort Campbell uses. It's ended up being a pretty decent job that provides me a glimpse into the office world. I show up in the morning, surf the internet a bunch, do a bit of work, and then go home. In return, I am being compensated nicely for the amount of work that I'm actually doing. Side note, you can't believe how cool it is to drive past random tanks on the side of the road on base or helicopters and C-130s landing nearby. It gives me slight thrills to be honest.

However, I realized the internet isn't as interesting as I always believed. The office I'm working at blocks social networks and other things unrelated to work, so this definitely cuts out on the "fun" factor of the internet. I've had to really scrounge the internet for some more sites that I can read. Among them, Gizmodo, The Consumerist, The Huffington Post, and The Drudge Report have quickly become favorites.

I wanted to see what you guys like to check out. What websites do you go to for news? Other general interests websites?

(Also, the World Cup is awesome. I get to watch a lot of it at work, albeit a crappy, Windows Media Player stream. Go U.S.A.!)

3 comments:

  1. ah, very nice blog, i must say. which base are you interning on?
    sucks about some sites being blocked. i actually don't check the news (i know, how worldly of me... sarcasm) but i do have some favorite websites which you should check out if your work computer will let you.

    http://www.postsecret.com/
    this one is really cool. it changes weekly. but basically, people send in postcards of their secrets or things that they usually don't tell people. it's quite entertaining, although sometimes PG-13 rated.

    http://1000awesomethings.com/
    this one changes daily. it gives me an extra boost to my mornings/afternoons/when i wake up. but it basically describes some awesome things that happen on a daily basis.

    and last but not least:
    http://www.hulu.com/
    that is my all time favorite. and it should be pretty self explanatory. :)

    besides facebook, those are my top websites... cherish them. :D

    love this blog, btw. keep 'em up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm interning at Fort Campbell which is the military base conveniently located right near where I live. Post Secret has never had that much appeal to me personally, but the 1000 Awesome Things site is right up my alley. And Hulu is a must for catching up on tv shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're interning as an intern? How else would you intern?

    As for me cyclingnews.com, velonews.com, soccernet.espn.com. I guess these are pretty specific interest though.

    For general use-weather.com, elmundo.com, maps.google.com, all fun websites.

    and my alltime favorite... time.gov. I could spend hours there!

    ReplyDelete