Thursday, February 4, 2010

Track 24: The Brittain Solution

For those of you who don't go to Georgia Tech, the dining hall for the east side of campus is Brittain Dining Hall. This is where I eat most of my meals at Tech. The food is fairly bad, and I've sure grown sick of it. Yet, the worst problem with Brittain that I can complain about is the atmosphere.

The way that Brittain is laid out encourages people to keep to themselves.

I go to eat at Brittain around 11 on Mondays and Wednesdays. During this time period, nearly everyone is sitting by themselves at these long tables and being lonely while eating. I hate eating by myself, but it's not socially acceptable for me to just go sit by a stranger and start talking to them. Brittain just doesn't work this way.

So I came up with this idea that I want to see implemented at Brittain. I want a section of two or three tables to be designated a social zone. People can come into this area, sit down, and just start talking to a complete stranger. There would be no awkardness in this zone. You just start talking to whoever is near you. I think this would be an excellent way to avoid looking like a loner and make new friends at the same time.

It's similar to speed dating, I suppose. However, you're not really moving around. The whole point is to share a meal with someone new. Someone who hopefully becomes a friend.

I feel something like this really needs to be implemented at a school like Georgia Tech where everyone might not be stellar socially. I am seriously considering proposing this to the people who run Brittain.

I really would like to hear some feedback on this idea, even if you don't go to Tech, because I feel like this is an idea that can be put into place at dining halls across the nation. Therefore, you should leave a comment and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. I do agree that the seating in Brittain needs to be more conducive to social situations, but I'm not sure labeling a specific section would do any good; I could see it leading to further and more tangible barriers between people (social area and non social area). No idea how, but the overall seating scheme needs to be arranged to encourage closer, less separated seating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might have been what you meant, but designating this area as a place where you are open to being talked to by anyone and everyone would be useful slash a mixer table (as opposed to a social zone, which might lead to divisions, as zak mentioned). This seems like an awesome idea to me. Brittain staff also seems fairly receptive to new ideas and changes, so I would say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be very cool. Though I would say it can be divided for people who came by themselves and people who came with friends to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this idea... a lot. you should suggest it at the housing office. i think they too would be for it. and they might even recognize you for doing it.

    ReplyDelete