Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Track 2: "Balancing Black Aspirations With White Fears"

So I saw the movie Invictus today with a friend that I haven't seen for a while. My thoughts on it you ask? Well, it's a pretty decent movie. Directed and produced by Clint Eastwood. It focuses on the presidency of Nelson Mandela, the South African National Rugby Team (The Springboks, which apparently are antelopes), and the 1995 Rugby World Cup. The movie is more or less the predictable, inspirational, based on true events sports movie. One of the major drawbacks is that it never really explains how rugby is played. I understand most of the concepts, but a good deal of the rugby scenes had a tendency to confuse me. All I needed was a good five minute explanation of the sport, but the movie never gave it to me. This definitely detracted from the movie viewing experience in my opinion. In other news, Morgan Freeman looks eerily similar to Nelson Mandela. The beginning of the movie contained historical footage from the Apartheid era, and it was incredibly hard to tell whether it contained Freeman or Mandela. The movie did a pretty bang up job of portraying the fears that surrounded the transition into the Mandela presidency and the South Africa of the future.

Overall, I'd say the movie is generic, but well-made. I definitely want to learn about rugby now. 7.25 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment