Friday, January 15, 2010

Track 18: The Soccer Goal

So I played soccer with some friends of mine and some random people today after my one class was over. I had a good time playing and getting a little exercise, but it made me realize something: soccer is one of the hardest sports to play.

The difficulty level is extremely hard if you didn't grow up playing the sport. The guys I was playing with today did some ridiculous things. They made pinpoint passes, impossible shots, and skilled challenges. I could do none of this. To make matters worse, the goal we were using was one of the practice goals, so it was the size of a small child.

All I could do was defend people as they approached our goal. However, this did give me some inspiration to improve my soccer skills. I feel my main focus should be on my passing and ball control, because I feel I'm an adequate defender. I can at least move with attackers and get in the way. It's kind of like being a movable door, because no one respects you until you're closed (i.e. block a pass or goal).

I do have a lot more respect for soccer players now though. The combination of skills needed to succeed is amazing. A player has to be able to run fast for extended periods of time, maintain ball control, always scan the field for passes, and defend when the other team has the ball. Quite frankly, it's astounding. I wish I could do it. (That's why I had the pun in the title. Think about it. I hope you found it funny like I did.)

No comments:

Post a Comment