Friday, January 1, 2010

Track 4: "I Pronounced The Man Dead Myself"

So I saw Sherlock Holmes today with a friend. I was really, really excited for it, because I've been wanting to see it since Christmas. Yet, when I was walking out of the theater, all I could remark was, "Yeah, it was good and all. I liked it. But it could've been a lot more".

Just to clarify a bit, the cast all did a really good job in their roles. Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes pretty much channeled the exact image dancing around in my head of Sherlock Holmes. Jude Law was the good loyal sidekick in Dr. John Watson. Rachel McAdams was quite adorable as Irene Adler. (I love Rachel McAdams by the way.)

With that out of the way, here is where my gripes begin. The main villian, Lord Blackwood, had a distinctly vampirish feel to him. Rachel McAdams' character gave me this same feeling, but to a lesser degree. I could be the only one walking away from the film with this feeling, but, if I'm not, this is an unnecessary addition to the movie. They're just trying to piggyback, in my opinion, on the whole new sexy vampire trend that has swept the nation. This movie was already set to be a blockbuster; therefore, you don't need to add in an insidious trend to get more viewers.

My other major complaint is that I didn't feel like I was actually in the era that the movie is set in. Instead, it felt much more like a modern-day version just trying to look old. I would have enjoyed the movie much more if it had felt more authentic. I don't care what your story is. I'm not going to care if I don't actually feel like I'm in the movie.

8 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. i agree with not being able to feel in the environment, but i liked the story. i actually wish blackwood had won. that woulda been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. guy ritchie is a very great director when it comes to his art house films, and it was odd to see him directing a blockbuster-style movie. the film's art direction and general look and feel was pretty fantastic and very appropriate, but the story was just too weak, and the characters failed to make themselves in any way relatable. i.e. rachel mcadams was indeed very cute in the movie, but i couldn't fall in love with her.

    i didn't leave the theater feeling like i'd seen anything astonishing. there wasn't anything about that movie that made me 'feel' anything, at all...no tension, no anticipation, no sense of conclusion, nothing. i agree, it could've been so much more.

    ReplyDelete