Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Track 8: Cameras Can't Capture Barry Sanders

So I'm going to take you back in time a little bit.

It was the summer of 2006. More specifically, the weekend right before school was to start again. I was a young, innocent about-to-be sophomore. One of my cousins was getting married, so my family flew up to Detroit for the wedding.

Nothing terribly eventful happened at this wedding. Yet, here's where the bulk of my tale begins. It was Sunday. I was looking forward to seeing Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby with some friends later that evening. Little did I know that the movie would not be the highlight of my day.

I'm in the airport waiting to fly back to Nashville. I'm just sitting there reading a book, because we arrived at the airport super early. One of the airline employees approaches the microphone at the nearby gate and says, "We need Barry Sanders to come to gate [whatever gate it was] as soon as possible." Somehow, even though I'm barely paying attention, I'm able to process this statement pretty fast. I assume it's because I've watched so much football that famous players pique my interest. I look up at the employee and cock my head at him a bit as if to ask, "No, it can't be?". Our eyes meet and he very clearly states, "Yes, the Barry Sanders."

Well, now I can't even focus on anything. I'm looking all around the surrounding area to see if I can see anybody who could possibly be Barry Sanders. I wait for what seems like forever. Time drags on and on. Finally, I see him. He walks incredibly purposefully with a little bit of that Barry Sanders speed evident. I can nearly envision him ducking, juking, and dodging defenders as he weaves through the crowded airport. He reaches the desk at the gate, and the employee politely tells him that he missed his flight. It's at this point that I also realize that Barry also has teenage son (who is now a notable football prospect in high school) with him. As Barry and his son wait for the employee to rearrange their flight(s), I decide now is when I'm going to make my move.

I turn to my sister and tell her to come with me. I also grab the camera we brought with us. I build up my nerves (it's Barry freakin' Sanders!). I ask him if I can take a picture with him. He seems a bit taken aback that I even recognized him, but he agrees to the picture. I pose with him as my sister takes the picture. Something seems different from the way the camera normally takes a picture, but I disregard this fact. I thank Barry for the opportunity and go back to sit with my family.

I anxiously grab the camera from my sister to look at the picture as soon as Barry and his son leave the area. The picture wasn't there.

I was heartbroken. My one chance: Gone.

Nowadays, I've reconciled myself with the events of that day. But I have to say: Barry, if you're out there, I would like a second shot at a picture.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite possibly the saddest story I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad like poorly written? or like legitimately sad?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm not a sports fan, but i like the song that played on the youtube link. it's from Gladiator movie.
    why not just photoshop yourself in a picture with him?

    ReplyDelete